turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have seen my tax return was supposed to be here by the fifth and may take longer than expected, but I was wondering how long should it take for it to get here?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

I have seen my tax return was supposed to be here by the fifth and may take longer than expected, but I was wondering how long should it take for it to get here?

We know you'd like your refund as fast as possible, but we have no control over how fast the IRS or your state returns your money to you. We're unable to track down, research, or expedite your refund, because those actions are only done by the government--you'll have to contact the IRS or your state tax office for help.

·         The IRS releases most refunds within 21 calendar days after the e-file has been accepted (received), not 21 days from the e-filing date.

If you still haven't received your refund or your refund is less than you expected , it's  possible you may have a Refund Offset.

·         For mailed returns, allow 5-6 weeks from the postmark date. (If you claimed an Earned Income Tax Credit and/or an Additional Child Tax Credit and filed before February 15, 2018, you’ll get your refund the week of February 27 at the earliest.)

·         If you opted to e-file and you entered an incorrect account number for direct deposit, the government will mail you a refund check, allow 5-6 weeks from the postmark date.

Your federal refund can take longer than 21 days to process for the following reasons:

·         You claimed an Earned Income Tax Credit and/or an Additional Child Tax Credit and filed before February 15, 2018.  It takes until the week of February 27 to receive your refund at the earliest.

·         The IRS processed a refund offset.

·         There were errors, inconsistencies, or missing info on the return.

·         The return is under review.

·         The IRS suspects identity theft or fraud.

·         There's a Form 8397 (Injured Spouse Allocation) on your return.  It takes 11-14 weeks to process.

·         You filed Form 1040-X (Amended Return), which can take 12-16 weeks to process.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302084

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies