turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We had ATIN for our adopted daughter before filing taxes (no extensions), and just recently (July) were assigned an actual SSN. Is it too late to amend 2018 return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

We had ATIN for our adopted daughter before filing taxes (no extensions), and just recently (July) were assigned an actual SSN. Is it too late to amend 2018 return?

If you already filed using the ATIN then there is nothing more to gain my amending the return. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for the reply.  There is a $1500 difference in credit between the $2k child tax credit requiring a SSN (ATIN not allowed) and the $500 "other dependent" using an ATIN.  TurboTax software (online) let me update and amend my return to mail in, but before sending I noticed in the 1040X instructions that the Child Tax credit is not allowed on an amended 2018 return w.r.t. a child who did not have a SSN issued before the due date of the return.  In previous years, I thought the return could be amended once the SSN was issued, as long as an ATIN was in place prior.  It looks like since I did not request an extension, we are out this extra $1500 difference.  I was hoping to check with someone since TurboTax allowed me to make the change, but it sounds like it is not allowed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies