turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

katmon88

My boyfriend filed an amended return form this years taxes, because this was our first year filing with a child. How will it affect my return? I mailed in my return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

My boyfriend filed an amended return form this years taxes, because this was our first year filing with a child. How will it affect my return? I mailed in my return.

It shouldn't affect your return at all, as long as you both aren't claiming the tax benefits for the child. Only one of you can claim  the exemption for the child, and the tax benefits associated with that.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies

do the two returns ( yours and his) conflict with each other? IRS will be in touch.
katmon88

We efiled his return. Then tried to efile mine, and it got rejected because we had put our childs social on both returns. We were confused. We amended his return, mailed it in. We then printed my return, and I mailed it a week after my boyfriend did his. I'm afraid of mine getting rejected again.
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

It shouldn't affect your return at all, as long as you both aren't claiming the tax benefits for the child. Only one of you can claim  the exemption for the child, and the tax benefits associated with that.

katmon88

We efiled his return. Then tried to efile mine, and it got rejected because we had put our childs social on both returns. We were confused. We amended his return, mailed it in. We then printed my return, and I mailed it a week after my boyfriend did his. I'm afraid of mine getting rejected again.
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You did this correctly, then. Your return might take longer to process than just e-filing, but it should be accepted by the IRS, because two people are no longer claiming the same dependent.
katmon88

Thank you!
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies