turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MLeiva386

What's the fastest way to renew a itin after, I've already efiled

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  Renewing an ITIN is not a super-fast process, but you can start on it right away.  Here is a link to a website that explains the expiring ITINs:  Expiring ITINs.  I'm not providing it just as a reference. It will help you to start the renewal process quicker.  Do the following:

1. Print out a copy of that webpage.  Take note of ITINs that the site said would expire this year (determined by the two middle numbers of the ITIN).  
  2. For each individual who needs to renew the ITIN, fill out Form W-7 (link attached).
  3. Form W-7 requires either a valid (non-US) passport, or two forms of identification (usually a birth certificate and a picture ID).  The original IDs can be mailed in with the W-7, you can visit an IRS Service Center to have your ID documents verified, or you can see a Certifying Acceptance Agents to have the IDs validated.
  4. Include a copy of the webpage I provided above, and a brief letter explaining that the ITINs in question have expired as indicated on the IRS webpage and that you have not received any other explanation letter.  You must provide some documentation like this because an ITIN application cannot be processed without a tax reason for doing so, and the ITIN processing center of the IRS will not have access to your e-filed return to assume that you are renewing your ITIN because of tax return processing delays.

The ITINs can take 6 to 8 weeks to process (although I have seen them process quicker).  Your refund will process once the ITIN is renewed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Was your e-file rejected because of an expired ITIN?
MLeiva386

Yes and no. They accepted it but have not issued our refund because of it as well.  
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Did you receive a letter from the IRS indicating that the ITIN was expired?
MLeiva386

Not yet. I actually called because it had been more than 21 days since i efiled. They told me, I should be getting a letter, I ha e not received it. I'd  just like to get it processed as fast as possible.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  Renewing an ITIN is not a super-fast process, but you can start on it right away.  Here is a link to a website that explains the expiring ITINs:  Expiring ITINs.  I'm not providing it just as a reference. It will help you to start the renewal process quicker.  Do the following:

1. Print out a copy of that webpage.  Take note of ITINs that the site said would expire this year (determined by the two middle numbers of the ITIN).  
  2. For each individual who needs to renew the ITIN, fill out Form W-7 (link attached).
  3. Form W-7 requires either a valid (non-US) passport, or two forms of identification (usually a birth certificate and a picture ID).  The original IDs can be mailed in with the W-7, you can visit an IRS Service Center to have your ID documents verified, or you can see a Certifying Acceptance Agents to have the IDs validated.
  4. Include a copy of the webpage I provided above, and a brief letter explaining that the ITINs in question have expired as indicated on the IRS webpage and that you have not received any other explanation letter.  You must provide some documentation like this because an ITIN application cannot be processed without a tax reason for doing so, and the ITIN processing center of the IRS will not have access to your e-filed return to assume that you are renewing your ITIN because of tax return processing delays.

The ITINs can take 6 to 8 weeks to process (although I have seen them process quicker).  Your refund will process once the ITIN is renewed.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies