sgg159

Want to make sure that the taxes I just filed we're for the year before 2017as I did not file Last year. have not even got my W2 s yet in the mail to even file for 2018?

Oh no.  You have a mess. 

The online software is ONLY for 2018 tax returns.  So you have used the wrong program and filed an incorrect return. 

If you get lucky and the IRS rejects the return you just e-filed, you will be able to correct it and re-submit it.  Cross your fingers for a rejection.  

If the IRS accepts it, then you are going to have to wait until they fully process your wrong-year tax return and then amend it with the correct 2018 tax information.  The IRS will not even begin to accept/reject returns until January 28. So you have to wait for a couple of weeks for the email that will tell you if your very incorrect tax return has been accepted or rejected.

Amending a tax return requires that you complete a form called a 1040X which becomes available in mid to late February; it then takes the IRS 3-4 month to process the 1040X.  So it will be a long time before you are able to get a refund for your 2018 tax return.

Meanwhile, in order to correctly file your 2017 tax return, you have to use the desktop software which you download or install from a 2017 CD. That software can only be installed on a full PC or Mac—no mobile devices. You use your 2017 information and prepare a return which has to be printed, signed and mailed.

To purchase 2017 software:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return. 

Wait until you see what you have to do with your e-filed return before you mail in anything for 2017. Do NOT try to change anything on that tax return now.  Do not touch a mouse near it.   Post back here for further help if you need it.

"taxes I just filed..."       Did you use the current online software to prepare and e-file a 2017 return?
sgg159

Yes but it shows I filed under the 2018 tab and when I go to the 2017 tab it still shows as if I did not file and asks if I'd like to file for 2017?

Oh no.  You have a mess. 

sgg159

Wow yeah I figured I messed up. Very upsetting. Oh well at least it can be corrected. But it's to late now one you submit you can't like cancel in case you made a mistake? And should I contact the IRS or still wait to see on the 28th? Thank you very much for your help.

No.  You cannot change it, stop it, cancel it--nothing.  Just like dropping an envelope in a big red and blue U.S. mailbox--you cannot get it back.  No, contacting the IRS is pointless.  They do not even have it yet. It is just sitting on the server, waiting for them to accept or reject it.   Wait for the email.  For your sake I hope it is rejected.  It will be an easier problem to fix if they reject it.  Seriously--do not touch it now.  WAIT.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4169486-can-i-change-my-return-if-i-already-submitted-it-and-you-r...>