turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gameguy17

What if I filed my taxes wrong on TurboTax and went to H&R Block to do my taxes so I can have them correct this time

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What if I filed my taxes wrong on TurboTax and went to H&R Block to do my taxes so I can have them correct this time

Do not file two tax returns. 

If you have actually transmitted an incorrect tax return, wait and see what happens.  Make no changes to your online account now.

• If it is rejected, you can correct the mistake and re-transmit your return, or print your return, sign, and mail it, or go to another company.  If your return was rejected, then it does not exist unless you fix and re-send it. 
  • If it is accepted, you will need to wait until any refund is paid.  Then and only then, you will prepare an amended return.  You can use TurboTax or another company.  The software for amending won't be available until March or April.  An amended return must be printed and mailed, it can't be e-filed.  You will file a corrected return along with a form 1040-X cover sheet, and either request an additional refund, or pay some of your tax refund back by check, depending on the facts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

What do you mean “filed”?  Did you actually transmit a finished return?

If you filed your 2018 tax return using TurboTax you will Not be able to e-file another tax return regardless of who you use to prepare your tax return.  Unless the IRS rejects your tax return, then you can e-file with another provider.  The IRS will not be accepting any 2018 tax returns for processing until on or after 01/28/19
gameguy17

Yeah it just said way to go your filed 2018 taxes

Use this TurboTax website to check the status of an e-filed return - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ef...>

What if I filed my taxes wrong on TurboTax and went to H&amp;R Block to do my taxes so I can have them correct this time

Do not file two tax returns. 

If you have actually transmitted an incorrect tax return, wait and see what happens.  Make no changes to your online account now.

• If it is rejected, you can correct the mistake and re-transmit your return, or print your return, sign, and mail it, or go to another company.  If your return was rejected, then it does not exist unless you fix and re-send it. 
  • If it is accepted, you will need to wait until any refund is paid.  Then and only then, you will prepare an amended return.  You can use TurboTax or another company.  The software for amending won't be available until March or April.  An amended return must be printed and mailed, it can't be e-filed.  You will file a corrected return along with a form 1040-X cover sheet, and either request an additional refund, or pay some of your tax refund back by check, depending on the facts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies