turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gobirds

Unlike past years, I'm not seeing the W-2 worksheet for me and my spouse when I download my return. I need the breakdown for Fafsa. Where can I get that breakdown?

All I see is our combined income, but Fafsa wants it by parent and I don't see that for 2020 but it was a part of the returns PDF download in other years.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Unlike past years, I'm not seeing the W-2 worksheet for me and my spouse when I download my return. I need the breakdown for Fafsa. Where can I get that breakdown?

Sorry.  You have to look at the actual W2s.   Turbo Tax doesn't have copies of your W2.   Only the info you typed in.   If you didn't keep them you need to get copies from your employers.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The W-2 worksheets are in the PDF that includes all worksheets. If the PDF that you have or download today does not include all worksheets, I don't think you will be able to get it until TurboTax Online comes back up in December. It might only be a week or so until it comes up.

Otherwise you have to look at your copies of your W-2s that you saved, as instructed on the back of the W-2. On the back of the W-2, under "Instructions for Employee," it says the following.

"Note: Keep Copy C of Form W-2 for at least 3 years after the due date for filing your income tax return. However, to help protect your social security benefits, keep Copy C until you begin receiving social security benefits, just in case there is a question about your work record and/or earnings in a particular year."

A Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS will list the information from all of your W-2s, but not in the format of an actual W-2 form. Go to the following link on the IRS web site to get a transcript. You want a Wage and Income Transcript, not a Tax Return Transcript. A transcript is for one person. You have to get separate transcripts for you and your spouse.

Get Transcript

ALWAYS SAVE YOUR TAX RETURN AFTER YOU FILE IT  

EVERY year before mid-October you should save a copy of your tax return as a pdf and print a copy of it for your records.  That way you will not be searching online frantically when you need it for a lender, FAFSA forms, your next tax return, etc. 

Saving a copy of your return as a PDF (in addition to the proprietary tax data format TurboTax uses) lets you open, view, and print your return using the free Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader 

This is a lifesaver if your tax data file gets corrupted or if you no longer have the TurboTax software to open it in. The government will also accept PDF copies.

Please note that TurboTax PDF files cannot be "read" by the TurboTax software the way the tax data file can. This means they cannot be used for amending, troubleshooting calculation issues, or for full prior-year transfer capabilities.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies