Anonymous
Not applicable

Unintentionally changed state of residency, how to change back?

I am from Ohio and came to Illinois for school in 2015, but I wanted to keep residency in Ohio (e.g. I renewed my car registration for 3 years before I left). However, when I filed my 2015 return I entered an Illinois address and filled it out as if I had moved here (sorry I can't remember the details), so I think officially because of my 2015 return I am considered an Illinois resident.

How do I change my residency back to OH? Do I have to amend my tax returns just to do that? I did fill out state returns for both states, so I paid taxes to both. I just don't want IL residency since I'm only here temporarily. And I might apply for some Ohio benefits. Would it be too complicated to change my residency back to Ohio? Should I just fully become an IL resident?

Current year return 2016:

Login to your account, then at the top, click the "Personal Info" tab.  This will take you to your Personal info summary.  At the top of the form, you should see your name, SSN, Birthdate, Occupation, and Resident state.  To the right, click the "Edit" button.  Scroll down to number 2 and change your resident state.

For 2015, you may need to amend your return.  You can download our Windows or Mac OS X 2015 product to do so.

Current year return 2016:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @TurboTaxBrendan !

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing