turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unintentionally changed state of residency, how to change back?

I am from Ohio and came to Illinois for school in 2015, but I wanted to keep residency in Ohio (e.g. I renewed my car registration for 3 years before I left). However, when I filed my 2015 return I entered an Illinois address and filled it out as if I had moved here (sorry I can't remember the details), so I think officially because of my 2015 return I am considered an Illinois resident.

How do I change my residency back to OH? Do I have to amend my tax returns just to do that? I did fill out state returns for both states, so I paid taxes to both. I just don't want IL residency since I'm only here temporarily. And I might apply for some Ohio benefits. Would it be too complicated to change my residency back to Ohio? Should I just fully become an IL resident?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Current year return 2016:

Login to your account, then at the top, click the "Personal Info" tab.  This will take you to your Personal info summary.  At the top of the form, you should see your name, SSN, Birthdate, Occupation, and Resident state.  To the right, click the "Edit" button.  Scroll down to number 2 and change your resident state.

For 2015, you may need to amend your return.  You can download our Windows or Mac OS X 2015 product to do so.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Current year return 2016:

Login to your account, then at the top, click the "Personal Info" tab.  This will take you to your Personal info summary.  At the top of the form, you should see your name, SSN, Birthdate, Occupation, and Resident state.  To the right, click the "Edit" button.  Scroll down to number 2 and change your resident state.

For 2015, you may need to amend your return.  You can download our Windows or Mac OS X 2015 product to do so.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @TurboTaxBrendan !
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies