turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS sent me a CP2000 form saying I owe them money for 2015 tax year. I've already paid off the settlement I owe.

I've already paid the settlement and now they say I owe them more money.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

IRS sent me a CP2000 form saying I owe them money for 2015 tax year. I've already paid off the settlement I owe.

Two separate departments.  Call the IRS using the phone number on the notice.  You need to get confirmation that the amount owed is not part of the settlement agreement already paid.

It's showing that an employer stated I made money with them when I was employed elsewhere by that time.

Then that is even more of a reason to contact the IRS and speak with an agent to find out what they would need from you to refute this claim of income.  You are essentially disagreeing with the the CP2000 notice.  See this IRS website for a CP2000 - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp2000-notice">https://www.irs.gov/individuals/un...>

Thank you for your help. I'm just tired of dealing with them already

You might be the victim of ID theft and someone is using your SSN for employment so the IRS thinks that it was you that earned the money and did not put it on yiur tax return.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Well I did have a case of identity theft not too long ago and the got a credit card under my name and maxed it out.

"employer stated I made money with them when I was employed elsewhere by that time."  So had you worked there at one time?  Any severance pay from that employer, or a check for  accrued vacation time, etc?

I worked there a long time ago. What I was trying to say is I was employed with my city job in 2015 all year so it's impossible that I made money from the company. It was a 1099 job

Ask the IRS to send you a copy of the 1099-MISC.

Ok I will do that, thank you for your time and help.

Per the IRS:

• Wage and Income Transcript - shows data from information returns we receive such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information. Current tax year information may not be complete until July. This transcript is available for up to 10 prior years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies