Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chengtil

TurboTax doesn't work for NONRESIDENT ALIEN since it is not supporting 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ and 8843 within system itself. Filed in Jan now need to amend with IRS.

With all the questions customer answered within the system before filing tax, there is no warning message at all reminds customer NOT TO USE TURBOTAX if you are NONRESIDENT ALIEN. I filed in Jan, and now my coworkers and friends all started to realize using TurboTax will lead to wrong tax return documents if users are nonresident alien and now need to consult with tax expert and amend with IRS. 

1) We all know TurboTax mentioned Sprintax is its partner. It is my fault to assume this partnership means using TurboTax is also fine as the certain moment I will get reminded/transferred to SprinTax system when customer should fill those nonresident alien forms. Instead, even with all the info filed and the question answered in TurboTax, TurboTax still thinks 1040 is the right form to fill while it is actually 1040NR-EZ. 

2) TurboTax should mention at the very beginning that nonresident alien COULDN'T use this system at all

3) TurboTax should let the customer know how much they need to pay while customer doing the beginning service fee estimate. I used the estimate and was shown I can file Tax for free, and then after 30mins of filling info, then a message pops out to let me pay almost $100 (for both State and Federal) to upgrade to Deluxe, while the situation can be so easily known at the very beginning!  

4) When I used "Talking to the Expert" function, the time estimate showed "We'll call you in about 5 mins." That was around 12:46pm and then I received the call at 1:33pm. Come on, the time estimate is WAY TOO FAR AWAY. If the estimate can be just a little bit more precise, customer will be better to manage their schedule instead waiting for the call in next couple of mins while the real call come is not coming in anytime soon.    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
singh19
Returning Member

TurboTax doesn't work for NONRESIDENT ALIEN since it is not supporting 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ and 8843 within system itself. Filed in Jan now need to amend with IRS.

I have exactly the same issue. I answered all the questions Turbotax asked and thought I am done with the taxes and it never prompted me with 1040NR form option for non resident alien. On the last day tax filing deadline (15th April) at around 11pm one of my friends informed me that I should have filed 1040NR and I was shocked. Now, I am looking for a tax consultant to amend the return. I wasted too much time on Turbo tax that too well before the tax filing deadline and still I need to file the amendment. Really disappointed. 

sss1990

I am on a similar situation. I am on F1/OPT. I filed the taxes using Turbo Tax. I filled all the details and TT never prompted me to go to Sprintax. It automatically filed a 1040. Idk what will happened next. Most probably a amendment. But, it's very unfair. Turbo tax could have informed when i am beginning the application. This is now a total mess.

Will turbo tax refund the tax filling charges at least?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Please click the link to get in contact with customer care who will be happy to help you.

TurboTax Contact Us

I thank you for your suggestions and I will pass along the suggestions.

In order to amend your tax return, please follow the below instructions.

You can use the steps here below to amend from 1040 resident return and file a correct 1040NR, AFTER the IRS has accepted your return and you've received a refund (or pay tax due). 

You will need to have your correct tax return prepared as a 1040NR. TurboTax does support nonresident returns however  we partner with Sprintax and they can help you with a 1040NR. 

Print your 1040NR in Sprintax; do not e-file it..  You must mail the 1040NR along with the amended return Form 1040X 

Print the IRS Form 1040X.  2019 Form 1040X

Per IRS Form 1040X instructions,  page 7: 2019 1040X Instructions

To amend and file the correct return, do the following:    

• Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.  

• Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.  

• Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.   

• Complete a new or corrected return, Form 1040NR,  

• Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.”   

• Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.  

**Make sure you check the box to show the tax year that you are amending on Form 1040X.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies