turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax 1997 CD was shipped without essential files. It tries but fails to download the missing files. Where can I get them?

I have been using old TT programs to convert my old .tax files to .pdf. This worked all the way back to 1995 except for year 1997. My TT 1997 CD is FINAL EDITION, but after installation it fails to open my .tax file, giving a "missing essential files" message. The README on the disk confirms that it shipped without some required files. When you first open TT 97, it appears to try a silent download of the missing files but fails since Intuit no longer hosts that update.

Can anyone point me to where I can get the update, or tell me if there was a version of TT 97 that shipped complete? If I can identify a fully functional version of the program, I can at least search for it on the used software sites.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbotax 1997 CD was shipped without essential files. It tries but fails to download the missing files. Where can I get them?

Update:

I wasn't curious enough about that 1997 .tax file to fork over $50 for the print service, and I haven't

seen any old TT97 disks that are both cheap and non-trial versions. What I did stumble on was a post that

reminded me that every new version of TT transfers information from the prior year. Duh!

Using a TT98 install I was able to start a new return and transfer that 97 data. Among other useful info

this gave me three reports: A fed carryover report, a tax history report, and a two year comparison

report. These reports contain quite a bit of useful 97 data. Not a full return, but a very good picture of

what went on. I have to believe the 97 data on those reports is accurate since there would be no reason

for the 98 program to change it in any way. You clearly don't need a fully updated TT to have a peek

inside your old .tax files, you just need the following year's version.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

The 1997 program is no longer supported  so you cannot get the updated files any longer.   And it will not work on any of the OS currently in use even if you could get an installation file.   You should have kept PDF files of all those old returns for this very reason.   And why do you need a return that old anyway ?   Even the IRS doesn't keep records that old. 

If you have old .tax files you can try converting them to pdf files at  Www.Taxprinter.Com 

It might be expensive.  They are not connected with Turbo Tax.  Use it at your own risk.

When you look into your own retirement fund history, you may wonder what happened decades ago. Not something I absolutely need to know, but something to while away those lockdown hours.

I keep a PC with XP just for old software. I had no problem installing '95, '96, ,'98, '99, etc. The TT 97 also installs fine, but because it can't download the missing files, it reverts to a "trial" version which will not open a .tax file. If there was a version of '97 that shipped with all the files included, it would be cheaper to buy it used, than that overpriced website.

The big why is why didn't Intuit provide a .tax file reader, or just release TT into the wild after seven years?

Contributions to a retirement plan is kept by the plan administrator so you don't need to keep it ... if you made non deductible traditional IRA contributions then it is reported on the form 8606 only ... a copy of said form should have been stored with your IRA information for future reference.

The TT program ONLY supports the last 3 tax years ... this has always been the rule which is why you need to save a PDF of the return along with the .taxfile for future reference.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

most likely those CD's prior to 2016 are beta copies that do not contain all the updates that occurred for that year.  opening the .tax file for those years may actually change the return.   if you had saved as PDFs copies of those returns you would not be having problems because they would contain the forms as they existed when you saved the PDF.  

That taxprinter website works for other years but not 1997.  Even they say they can't read 97.  The footnotes say.....

Known exceptions are TurboTax 1997, 1999 and TaxCut 2005 files which we can't read for technical reasons. TurboTax 1998 and 2002 files may show only the tax summary and the Form 1040.

@tnone43 wrote:

When you look into your own retirement fund history, you may wonder what happened decades ago. Not something I absolutely need to know, but something to while away those lockdown hours.

I keep a PC with XP just for old software. I had no problem installing '95, '96, ,'98, '99, etc. The TT 97 also installs fine, but because it can't download the missing files, it reverts to a "trial" version which will not open a .tax file. If there was a version of '97 that shipped with all the files included, it would be cheaper to buy it used, than that overpriced website.

The big why is why didn't Intuit provide a .tax file reader, or just release TT into the wild after seven years?

@tnone43 wrote:

The TurboTax software *IS* the .tax file reader.   You cannot read the .tax file without the fill program.  The .tax file only contains encrypted data and not forms that is used to population the forms that the program provides.

The CD is ALWAYS a pre-version just to get started because it is released in December and the IRS (and Congress) makes tax law and form changes well after the CD is released so TurboTax provides updates that are no longer available.

If the .tax file contains any state tax information then the state software must be installed before it can be opened.  State software has never been available on a CD - only as a download that is no longer available.

TurboTax used to have updates available for many years but a marketing decision a couple years ago drops all support after 3 years and purges the software from it's servers.  (My guess that was a legal decision that if the software is available then  there might be a legal responsibility to provide support even if no longer sold.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks anyway.

I was only after rollover info on the 1040, which would probably still appear even if some calcs were incorrect. I did see that 1997 was a problem for those taxprinter folks, so I guess that return will have to remain a mystery.

I was told by an IRS agent that they rarely keep things past 10yrs, and there is no obligation for employers or plan administrators to keep records older than that for closed/terminated accounts, provided those entities are even still around.

Update:

I wasn't curious enough about that 1997 .tax file to fork over $50 for the print service, and I haven't

seen any old TT97 disks that are both cheap and non-trial versions. What I did stumble on was a post that

reminded me that every new version of TT transfers information from the prior year. Duh!

Using a TT98 install I was able to start a new return and transfer that 97 data. Among other useful info

this gave me three reports: A fed carryover report, a tax history report, and a two year comparison

report. These reports contain quite a bit of useful 97 data. Not a full return, but a very good picture of

what went on. I have to believe the 97 data on those reports is accurate since there would be no reason

for the 98 program to change it in any way. You clearly don't need a fully updated TT to have a peek

inside your old .tax files, you just need the following year's version.

Interesting.  Good idea.

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies