turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to file my last year taxes with this year's

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You cannot file last years tax return with your 2019 return.  You must file for your 2018 return separate.  You cannot file 2018 returns Online, the Online version is only for the current years returns (2019).  Prior year returns must be mailed.

If you entered any information from 2018 into your 2019, you must remove it before you file.  If you already filed your return, you would need to amend your return, to only have 2019 information.

How do I prepare a prior year tax return?

For tax years 2018, 2017, or 2016

You'll need to purchase and download the TurboTax software for PC or Mac as TurboTax Online and the mobile app are only available for the current tax year.

After installing the software, open it and follow the onscreen instructions.

Prior year returns must be paper-filed, as e-filing is no longer available. We'll walk you through that process when you get to the File section in the software.

For tax years 2015 or earlier

We no longer sell or support TurboTax products for 2015 and earlier tax years. See this article for alternative methods to file an older return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

NO.  You cannot and do not enter any 2018 tax data on a 2019 tax return.  The TurboTax online editions are Only for tax year 2019.

To complete and file a 2018 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2018 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

You cannot file last years tax return with your 2019 return.  You must file for your 2018 return separate.  You cannot file 2018 returns Online, the Online version is only for the current years returns (2019).  Prior year returns must be mailed.

If you entered any information from 2018 into your 2019, you must remove it before you file.  If you already filed your return, you would need to amend your return, to only have 2019 information.

How do I prepare a prior year tax return?

For tax years 2018, 2017, or 2016

You'll need to purchase and download the TurboTax software for PC or Mac as TurboTax Online and the mobile app are only available for the current tax year.

After installing the software, open it and follow the onscreen instructions.

Prior year returns must be paper-filed, as e-filing is no longer available. We'll walk you through that process when you get to the File section in the software.

For tax years 2015 or earlier

We no longer sell or support TurboTax products for 2015 and earlier tax years. See this article for alternative methods to file an older return.

Manage cookies