turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bb1950-

I used my iPadPro to file 2016 federal and state online with TurboTax and do not see how to file an amendment without downloading Windows (which I cannot do).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I used my iPadPro to file 2016 federal and state online with TurboTax and do not see how to file an amendment without downloading Windows (which I cannot do).

The mobile app is only a gateway to Turbotax online (the web site).  Since Turbotax online is closed for the 2016 tax season, the only way to amend is to download the turbotax program and install it on a Mac or PC, then download your tax data file and use it to prepare the amended return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you cannot download the program then you will either need to go old school and get the paper forms from the feds & state and complete if manually  OR  find another tax program or paid preparer.

The mobile app is only a gateway to Turbotax online (the web site).  Since Turbotax online is closed for the 2016 tax season, the only way to amend is to download the turbotax program and install it on a Mac or PC, then download your tax data file and use it to prepare the amended return.

To file an amended tax return that was completed and filed using the TurboTax online editions, you must amend the tax return on a desktop computer, either Windows or Mac based.

If you have a Mac computer then go to this TurboTax support FAQ and request a 2016 Mac download so you can amend the tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3449967-amend-prior-year-return-mac-software-request

You will need to download the tax data file from the 2016 online account.

When you sign onto to your online account using the exact same user ID you used to create, complete and file the 2016 tax return you will land on the Welcome Home screen.  Click on My TurboTax at the top left of the program screen.  This will take you to the 2016 Timeline.  Under the section Some things you can do:  Click on Download .tax file

Or if you land on the Welcome Back screen click on the blue link Download your .tax file

An amended tax return has to be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies