This year it's asking if my 2018 return includes F...

erickunert

This year it's asking if my 2018 return includes Form 6251? I can find that worksheet in my tax forms from last year, but can't find line 11? Where do i find this?

BarbaraW22

If you are looking at Form 6251, line 11 is at the very bottom of the page under Part II. It has AMT in bold print on the left side of the page next to the number. This would not be on the 6251 worksheet, it would be on the actual Form 6251. 

If you cannot find line 11 on Form 6251, you can also look at Line 45 of Schedule 2 (Form 1040.) If you cannot find a Schedule 2 or there is not an amount listed on line 45, then you did not pay any "Alternative Minimum Tax" or AMT.

If you can only find the 6251 worksheet, you may have not been subject to "Alternative Minimum Tax" (AMT) and that would explain why you did not have the form in your tax return.

47acre94

Hello @BarbaraW22

I'm also looking for 2018 Form 6251 because 2019 TurboTax is requesting confirmation of a line item.  Perhaps it's as you say, i.e. I wasn't subject to the AMT last year.  I did print 3 versions last year:  (1) the essential, (2) the essential + the critical worksheets, and (3) the return with ALL forms.  Apparently ALL forms didn't include 6251!  So, to satisfy 2019 TurboTax, is it necessary to relaunch/reopen the 2018 version and purposefully look for Form 6251?  I don't want to go back opening software and potentially changing something that should be done, but not sure if there is any other way to satisfy this request by 2019 TurboTax.  

Thanks, 47acre94

JotikaT2

No.

You would not need to go back into your 2018 tax program.  If the form did not print out with your 2018 tax return and the numbers are not reflected on the forms as described above, then you did not have any AMT.  You do not need to enter anything in the 2019 program and can mark that you did not have any AMT in 2018.