turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have bought a home in India with a home loan that was granted to me by an Indian bank in 2018. Should the home loan be reported as loan received from foreign trust?

In the section "Tell Us About Any Foreign Trusts", should the answer to "I received a distribution or a loan from a foreign trust" be 'Yes' in this scenario?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I have bought a home in India with a home loan that was granted to me by an Indian bank in 2018. Should the home loan be reported as loan received from foreign trust?

this is not a foreign trust -- it is foreign bank.

Your second home in India , the mortgage interest payment ( EMI ) is eligible for deduction just as if ( or in addition to ) the home was in the USA.  Ditto for any property taxes 

Are you a citizen/resident( Green Card ) / resident for tax purposes?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

this is not a foreign trust -- it is foreign bank.

Your second home in India , the mortgage interest payment ( EMI ) is eligible for deduction just as if ( or in addition to ) the home was in the USA.  Ditto for any property taxes 

Are you a citizen/resident( Green Card ) / resident for tax purposes?

Thank you that clarifies. Am a temporary resident on a work permit visa.
pk
Level 15
Level 15

A resident for tax purposes is treated the same as a Green Card holder except for a few credits etc. for which one must be a citizen.  Note that if you rent out your home in India, you must declare the income/ expenses on schedule-E and the depreciation is over 39.5 years ( like commercial property in the USA ). Good Luck on your stay
Namaste
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies