Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jgibble29

I recieved a 1098-t form after i filed my taxes. im not claiming any education expenses just income do i need to amend my return?

if i dont have to i dont want to i need the refund as quick as possible
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I recieved a 1098-t form after i filed my taxes. im not claiming any education expenses just income do i need to amend my return?

There is no IRS requirement that you must claim an education credit or tuition and fees deduction. Claiming education tax benefits is a voluntary choice for those who qualify. If you don't want to claim them, you don't file the form. 

Also, we recommend that you don't amend your tax return until you receive your refund anyway, so there's no rush.  Once you do receive your refund, it may be to your benefit to amend; if you qualify for an education credit, you may receive an additional refund from the amendment. 

If your return has been submitted- please wait - if it's rejected for some reason, you can add your 1098-T and re-send the return. If your return has been submitted and accepted- wait until you receive your refund and then amend: the return is mailed; takes about 16 weeks to process. Here are amending instructions.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

There is no IRS requirement that you must claim an education credit or tuition and fees deduction. Claiming education tax benefits is a voluntary choice for those who qualify. If you don't want to claim them, you don't file the form. 

Also, we recommend that you don't amend your tax return until you receive your refund anyway, so there's no rush.  Once you do receive your refund, it may be to your benefit to amend; if you qualify for an education credit, you may receive an additional refund from the amendment. 

If your return has been submitted- please wait - if it's rejected for some reason, you can add your 1098-T and re-send the return. If your return has been submitted and accepted- wait until you receive your refund and then amend: the return is mailed; takes about 16 weeks to process. Here are amending instructions.

jgibble29

Amazing this is why I use turbo tax thank you so much for the in depth and helpful answer!
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

My pleasure, good luck in 2017!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies