turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

3piece_29

I was wanting to know why I didn't receive any money for having to take care of my 2 year old son? Also I was wanting to know why I am only receiving $417 on my return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was wanting to know why I didn't receive any money for having to take care of my 2 year old son? Also I was wanting to know why I am only receiving $417 on my return.

The IRS does not pay you to take care of your child. Any refund is based on your overall tax situation, including your income and withholdings.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Did you enter all of the income you earned?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The IRS does not pay you to take care of your child. Any refund is based on your overall tax situation, including your income and withholdings.

3piece_29

Then why is everyone telling me that I should be receiving money on my taxes every year until my son turns 18?
3piece_29

I should be receiving more than what I am being sent. I thought the IRS sent parents every year on their taxes for their children until their kids turn 18. Correct?

Not correct. You have been misinformed.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

That is the Child Tax Credit.  Child Tax Credit FAQ
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900923-what-is-the-child-tax-credit">https://ttlc.intuit.com/ques...>

Check 1040 line 52 or 1040A line 35 for it.

Not correct.  The IRS (actually, taxpayers) does not pay people to raise children. Do you work?

@VolvoGirl I was responding to OP, not you.
3piece_29

No I don't because I just gave birth to my daughter from a C-Section. I can't work.

"I am only receiving $417 on my return" That is for 2016. Did you work that year?  Were you married?  Lived with another adult?  You have a tax liability in order to get the Child Tax Credit.

(sj, I know)  Regarding  the Child Tax Credit,  you only get it until they turn 17.

The Child Tax Credit is non refundable so it can only reduce your tax to zero.  Then you will just get all your withholding back plus any refundable credits you qualify for like the EIC.

Correct. This means if your tax liability is $0, you will not receive this credit, because there is no tax to reduce.   For future reference, this Credit phases out above a certain income level. And be aware that Congress is considering tax law changes.

Your refund is not broken-down by how much you "get" for each dependent.  Each dependent gives you a personal exemption of $4050, which lowers the amount of your income you are taxed on.

You might be getting the Child Tax Credit--that is not a refund--it lowers the tax you owe, up to $1000 per child, but if you do not owe then you may not get the full amount of CTC.  In some cases, you could qualify for the "Additional Child Tax Credit" which is a refundable credit, and would increase your refund.

You might be able to claim the child and dependent care credit if you paid someone to take care of your child so you could work. This is not a refundable credit, so it will not be in your refund.  It can lower your taxable income.

You might qualify for Earned Income Credit, which is a refundable credit if you worked and earned income. If you do, TT automatically calculates the amount and adds it to your refund.

"I can't work".
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies