Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On my 2017 taxes it said I would get back $1,500 but I had to amend them and it said $0 even though the payment/credit still says $1,500 why does the refund amt. say $0

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On my 2017 taxes it said I would get back $1,500 but I had to amend them and it said $0 even though the payment/credit still says $1,500 why does the refund amt. say $0

The refund process for the original return and the amended return run separately from each other.

If the original return showed that you would get a $1,500 refund, that refund is still coming to you.

If your amended return said $0, then this mean that you have zero difference in terms of tax due or refund from the original return. 

The amended return is not an updated original return, it is a statement of the differences in the original return. If the amended return (1040X) says $0, then you will get no additional refund - but you will still get the original $1,500.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The refund process for the original return and the amended return run separately from each other.

If the original return showed that you would get a $1,500 refund, that refund is still coming to you.

If your amended return said $0, then this mean that you have zero difference in terms of tax due or refund from the original return. 

The amended return is not an updated original return, it is a statement of the differences in the original return. If the amended return (1040X) says $0, then you will get no additional refund - but you will still get the original $1,500.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies