turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The IRS couldn't find my last years taxes and I paid you guys to e-file

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Perhaps you did not actually file it.  Paying the TurboTax fees doe not file the return.  You have to go all the way through the FILE section and click that big orange button that says "Transmit Return Now."  If you did not do that, your return was not filed.  Or it may have been rejected if you used the wrong AGI or had some other mistake.   When you e-file your return you get two emails.  The first one says your e-file has been submitted.  The second one says whether your return has been accepted or rejected.  If your return is rejected and you do not follow up, then it did not get filed.  At any rate, the IRS is telling you they did not receive your tax return, so you need to file it.

Online preparation and e-filing for 2016 is permanently closed.  You have to download 2016 software and then print, sign and mail your return.  If you already paid for your TurboTax software, you can contact customer support to push a download of the software to you.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time.

To finish a prior year return started in TT online:https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Perhaps you did not actually file it.  Paying the TurboTax fees doe not file the return.  You have to go all the way through the FILE section and click that big orange button that says "Transmit Return Now."  If you did not do that, your return was not filed.  Or it may have been rejected if you used the wrong AGI or had some other mistake.   When you e-file your return you get two emails.  The first one says your e-file has been submitted.  The second one says whether your return has been accepted or rejected.  If your return is rejected and you do not follow up, then it did not get filed.  At any rate, the IRS is telling you they did not receive your tax return, so you need to file it.

Online preparation and e-filing for 2016 is permanently closed.  You have to download 2016 software and then print, sign and mail your return.  If you already paid for your TurboTax software, you can contact customer support to push a download of the software to you.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time.

To finish a prior year return started in TT online:https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies