turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I still haven't received my refund. The IRS says it is still being processed, though it's pass the 21 day mark. When I log into TURBO, the blue line is "full."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

I still haven't received my refund. The IRS says it is still being processed, though it's pass the 21 day mark. When I log into TURBO, the blue line is "full."

The dates for receiving a tax refund after it has been accepted by the IRS are only estimates based on the IRS target of issuing a tax refund after 21 days from the date it was accepted by the IRS.  This is a target only and not a guarantee.

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.

See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

If over 21 days since being Accepted by the IRS and the tax refund is still Processing you can call the IRS and speak with an IRS agent concerning your tax refund.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

thanks, even tho the call took 1:07:00 and only actually talked for 5 mins, I figured out what was wrong and why it's taking so long. I filed feb 19,2019 and its may 3rd.... Smh
KevinC813

I'll have to try this process. We received a 60 day notice on March 1 and still haven't heard anything. Accountant days to keep waiting, but barely making it by now as it is.

Hello I have had the same problem...what did you find out the problem was?

What was the problem?
Dnice

I know someone who still havnt recieved there refund and its still processing by the irs 

Yep I'm in the same boat! Ticks me off because they can take as long as they want and don't pay any interest.

I haven’t received anything as well and I did since jan30

@ TylorKayden22 wrote:

I haven’t received anything as well and I did since jan30

If you efiled, double-check with this tool to be sure the return was efiled successfully and accepted:
https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp

If that showed it was accepted (or if you mailed the return), what do you see at the IRS website below for the status of your Federal refund?
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds
NOTE: When using that tool, use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund. The amount to use is on your Federal Form 1040, Line 20a.

If that IRS tool shows that the refund has been sent, but you didn't receive it, report back for more info.

If the IRS tool says it is "still being processed", we can tell you how to speak to a live agent at the IRS to see if they can tell you anything about the delay.   (Actually Super DoninGA provided all the steps above higher in this thread.)   

If it says "still being processed", and you can't get good info from the IRS about the delay, we can tell you how to contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service to see if they can assist you.

Johnxctp

I’ve read through this thread, and still seem to be coming up empty-handed on how to get my refund - still hasn’t come and we filed in Feb. We received the “give us 60 days” letter back in May, which says if they don’t contact us after the 60 days then give them a call at the number given at the end of the letter - there was no phone number listed.

I checked the status of the e-file, and it says “approved”. I call the IRS 800 number, but now when you select “other questions” it says “we no longer provide assistance for this option”. I select other options just to talk to someone, wait an hour, then get told they can’t help me cause it’s “refund” and not “payment”. Then they send me back to the automated hampster wheel. 

I call the tax advocate number, wait the hour to talk to them, and the moment I say “IRS refund” they interrupt me and say “oh this is an IRS issue” then immediately route me back to the hampster wheel. It’s driving me nuts! Can anyone help me find the right person to talk to?!?

@ Johnxctp wrote:

It’s driving me nuts! Can anyone help me find the right person to talk to?!?

Here's how to reach a live agent at the IRS:

800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • At that point it may ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal" then you should be transferred to a live agent.

I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

When you phoned the Taxpayer Advocate Service, did you phone the national office or your local IRS advocate?   The steps below are how to reach a local IRS Taxpayer Advocate in your area.   If that's what you have already done, then try phoning the national office of the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service.

If you have an economic hardship, mention it to the Advocate office right away.

If you don't get good info/results from the IRS, you can contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate for your area.   They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

If you can't get help from the IRS or IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service, you can phone your US Congressman's local district office to complain and ask for assistance.

ocbritt

thank you for the help navigating thru the automated system to get a live person!!

@ocbritt wrote:

thank you for the help navigating thru the automated system to get a live person!!

You're welcome.   Good luck.

Babyjigga

When will I recited my refund

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies