turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had my refund direct deposited into my boyfriends checking acct.. It is not in my name. Will it be direct deposited to it? If not, Can I correct it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I had my refund direct deposited into my boyfriends checking acct.. It is not in my name. Will it be direct deposited to it? If not, Can I correct it?

That depends on the bank.  Many banks will refuse a deposit if the taxpayer's name is not the name of the bank account holder.  If the bank refuses the deposit, the IRS will mail a check to the address on your tax return.

If you want to cancel direct deposit, you can call the IRS and they might be able to cancel it and mail a check, if you get through to a human, but the IRS won't accept a request to change account numbers for the deposit.  800-829-1040

View solution in original post

1 Reply

That depends on the bank.  Many banks will refuse a deposit if the taxpayer's name is not the name of the bank account holder.  If the bank refuses the deposit, the IRS will mail a check to the address on your tax return.

If you want to cancel direct deposit, you can call the IRS and they might be able to cancel it and mail a check, if you get through to a human, but the IRS won't accept a request to change account numbers for the deposit.  800-829-1040

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies