turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

djkjexc1

2880.24 was deducted from my gross pay and sent to Delaware by my company by mistake, I am a Maryland Resident, what should i do here

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

2880.24 was deducted from my gross pay and sent to Delaware by my company by mistake, I am a Maryland Resident, what should i do here

If you worked in Delaware your income from there would be taxable by Delaware, as well as by your home state of Maryland.  If this is the case you'd have to file a non-resident DE return in addition to your home state MD return.

If you did not live in or work in Delaware, you'd still have to file a Delaware non-resident tax return, showing zero Delaware income, in order to get a refund of the DE taxes.  You might have to print and mail the DE return, because some states don't accept e-filed returns showing zero income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

If you worked in Delaware your income from there would be taxable by Delaware, as well as by your home state of Maryland.  If this is the case you'd have to file a non-resident DE return in addition to your home state MD return.

If you did not live in or work in Delaware, you'd still have to file a Delaware non-resident tax return, showing zero Delaware income, in order to get a refund of the DE taxes.  You might have to print and mail the DE return, because some states don't accept e-filed returns showing zero income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
jrburian

I have the same issue. Does the TurboTax State Add-on for Delaware allow you to file the necessary DE non-resident tax return for this situation?
TomD8
Level 15

Yes.
jrburian

Thanks so much!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies