Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rv2
Level 3

Some of my 1099Bs that were manually entered does not show up in Form 8949

I have a few 1099Bs that I had manually entered into the CD version (Premier). These are summarized items for which I will be attaching the statement. When I look at my 8949s, I see only a subset of these 1099Bs. 

I see the 1099s in the Form 1099B Wks, but not in the 8949s!

Poured over my returns from top to bottom, and have not been able to identify where the 1099B values ended up. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

you're contradicting yourself. If you manually entered items, they will appear on Form 8949 itemized, not summarized.

If you are itemizing there is no reason to attach the statement.
If you are summarizing and your transactions are short term trades (category A) then the grand totals go on Schedule D, not 8949, and again there is no need to attach a statement. Reason: the basis has been reported to IRS by the brokerage.
rv2
Level 3

thanks for the feedback fanfare!

My guess is that I was not clear with my issue, and also not clear with the purpose of 8949s.

So, here is my attempt to explain the situation again :-
1. I have a few brokerage statements imported into TT via the import facility, each of which have individual security sale transactions (which also got imported smoothly);
2. I also have a few brokerage statements (where I have many transactions), which I did not want to import as the transactions make the TT unweildy and slow, and therefore I manually entered the totals (summaries) into TT, with the assumption that I will send the statements to the IRS;
3. Now after getting the returns completed, I wanted to see the various summary transactions rolling up into the Sched D numbers, and the 8949s were the only forms that showed me the indiv transactions and the summaries. This is where I was confused as not all the summary transactions were there, and hence the question.

Not sure if I am making sense.

Appreciate your response.

I believe it would work as follows:
You will have one 8949 showing the results of your Import.
You will have another 8949 showing the summaries from the second broker [update: see next comment].
If they are short term trades, there is no need to send any mailing and you should not see a Code "M" on page 8949.

But Turbotax may be thwarting you, if you do see a code "M" it is telling you to mail paper trail to document that subtotal .

All your subtotals have to end up as a grand total on Schedule D in any case .

actually if they are short term trades ( Sales Category A), there is no need to send any mailing and there is no need to attach any form 8949 for the second broker. Instead that subtotal goes on Sched D Line 1a.
So you should have one 8949, as you described.
Sched D must show the grand total regardless.
rv2
Level 3

Thanks much "fanfare".

What threw me off was that I could not explain the Schedule D Part I,1a and Part II, 8a components. All the other Sch D lines / components had 8949 forms that I could zoom into and verify against my 1099s. There was no "zoom into" feature for the components in question.

I called into the TT hotline and they ack'd the same.  

I have quite a few K-1s that produce Sch D transactions and their numbers seldom match the corresponding 1099Bs and hence the need to see what value is coming from where.

Thanks again!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies