Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dbraff805

The last return I filed was for my Father, who has passed away. I would like to file for myself and my husband. The account is not allowing that.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The last return I filed was for my Father, who has passed away. I would like to file for myself and my husband. The account is not allowing that.

A TurboTax online account can only prepare tax returns for one person. You can use the same account year over year to prepare returns for that person, but if you need to prepare returns for a different person you need to make a new different TurboTax online account with a different username and password. It can be linked to the same email address for notifications. And, each separate TurboTax online account will be charged separate fees unless you qualify to file for free.

If you need to prepare more than one tax return per year for different people, it is usually more economical to install TurboTax as a download or CD on your own computer instead of using the online program.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Wha tax year are you trying to prepare?  The current online software is only for 2017.  If you are trying to file for 2016 or earlier you cannot use the online program.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dbraff805

I am trying to get set for 2017!but in the past only filed for my Dad. So!when I try to log in the account only allows for his info.

So you have never had a TurboTax account of your own?   You should not use someone else's account to prepare your own return.

Start a new account with a new unique userID on the TurboTax online website after selecting the edition you want to use - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/onlin...>
dbraff805

He had dimentia, I had to do his return.

It is fine that you helped out your father by filing his tax return.  But start a new account of your own to prepare your own tax returns.  Do not use the account that was your father's account.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Online is only good for 1 return.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version      <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574</a>

A TurboTax online account can only prepare tax returns for one person. You can use the same account year over year to prepare returns for that person, but if you need to prepare returns for a different person you need to make a new different TurboTax online account with a different username and password. It can be linked to the same email address for notifications. And, each separate TurboTax online account will be charged separate fees unless you qualify to file for free.

If you need to prepare more than one tax return per year for different people, it is usually more economical to install TurboTax as a download or CD on your own computer instead of using the online program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies