Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aadeyemo5

Hello so I filed my taxes already and told both my parents no one should claim me on their taxes because I’m independent.

Hi, so I’m 19 years old. As of the new year of 2017 I  got kicked out while I was a college freshman. I’m still a full time student sophomore year. I’m a US citizen. And I’ve been responsible for my housing and tuition and all expenses as of January first last year. I spoke with an advisor at school and she says I’m independent (I made an error of saying dependent). So meaning no one can claim me on their taxes. I spoke with both parents when schools starting because I still legally need their tax Info for fafsa regardless of dependency or not. So I spoke with them both not to claim me on their taxes which they both agreed. My mom on the other hand who is remarried called me to say she needs to claim me on her taxes in order to pay less back. I don’t even know what that means. But do I have to ? is more of my question. Am I wrong for saying no one can claim me on their taxes legally. And I have already filed my taxes and received a refund. Just waiting to update fafsa and I usually use my moms information. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello so I filed my taxes already and told both my parents no one should claim me on their taxes because I’m independent.

You have not mentioned your age or whether you are a full-time student.  Here are the rules your parents use:

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2017 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

? No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.

• They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4,050 in 2017.

• You provided more than half of their financial support

I should have said I was a dependent but I claimed myself

Did you say you could not be claimed as someone else’s dependent, but it turns out your parent(s) can claim you?  Now your parents’ return is being rejected when they e-file, or it will be rejected.  That means your parents must print, sign, and mail their return.  They can still claim you as a dependent, but they cannot e-file now.  

Your part in fixing this is to wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received you refund.  THEN you need to file an amended return, called a 1040X, to change the way you answered that question in Personal Info about whether you can be claimed as someone else’s dependent.  You will have to print and mail the 1040X—it cannot be e-filed. You might need to repay some of your refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Sounds to me like your return violates the regulations and you need to amend. And apologize.
aadeyemo5

Hi, so I’m 19 years old. As of the new year of 2017 I  got kicked out while I was a college freshman. I’m still a full time student sophomore year. I’m a US citizen. And I’ve been responsible for my housing and tuition and all expenses as of January first last year. I spoke with an advisor at school and she says I’m independent (I made an error of saying dependent). So meaning no one can claim me on their taxes. I spoke with both parents when schools starting because I still legally need their tax Info for fafsa regardless of dependency or not. So I spoke with them both not to claim me on their taxes which they both agreed. My mom on the other hand who is remarried called me to say she needs to claim me on her taxes in order to pay less back. I don’t even know what that means. But do I have to ? is more of my question. Am I wrong for saying no one can claim me on their taxes legally. And I have already filed my taxes and received a refund. Just wai
aadeyemo5

Waiting to update my fafsa

You have not mentioned your age or whether you are a full-time student.  Here are the rules your parents use:

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2017 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

? No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.

• They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4,050 in 2017.

• You provided more than half of their financial support

I should have said I was a dependent but I claimed myself

Did you say you could not be claimed as someone else’s dependent, but it turns out your parent(s) can claim you?  Now your parents’ return is being rejected when they e-file, or it will be rejected.  That means your parents must print, sign, and mail their return.  They can still claim you as a dependent, but they cannot e-file now.  

Your part in fixing this is to wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received you refund.  THEN you need to file an amended return, called a 1040X, to change the way you answered that question in Personal Info about whether you can be claimed as someone else’s dependent.  You will have to print and mail the 1040X—it cannot be e-filed. You might need to repay some of your refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
aadeyemo5

Hi, so I’m 19 years old. As of the new year of 2017 I  got kicked out while I was a college freshman. I’m still a full time student sophomore year. I’m a US citizen. And I’ve been responsible for my housing and tuition and all expenses as of January first last year. I spoke with an advisor at school and she says I’m independent (I made an error of saying dependent). So meaning no one can claim me on their taxes. I spoke with both parents when schools starting because I still legally need their tax Info for fafsa regardless of dependency or not. So I spoke with them both not to claim me on their taxes which they both agreed. My mom on the other hand who is remarried called me to say she needs to claim me on her taxes in order to pay less back. I don’t even know what that means. But do I have to ? is more of my question. Am I wrong for saying no one can claim me on their taxes legally. And I have already filed my taxes and received a refund. Just waiting to update fafsa

Well, it really probably hinges on whether you provided over half your own support.  Here is the official worksheet from the IRS (from your parents' point of view).
The question of whether your time at school is a "temporary absence" from home enters into your home was with your parents more than half the time and also affects the support worksheet.
Certainly, the support issue and the residency issue might be items that you and your parents could disagree on.
If you cannot agree and want the IRS to decide, you can each claim your exemption (the second to file will have to file a paper return) and eventually the IRS will write to both of you with the questions they want answered.  Then they will decide.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies