turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Someone filed my dependent in error

He know we rotate every year and its proven on our taxes.  Will I still get my entire refund?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyT

If the return is rejected because the social security number of the child has already been shown on another return, you may still be able to claim the child as your dependent. 

If possible, you may want to request that the person who claimed your child amend their return and file without claiming the child. Note:  Due to the amount of time it takes the IRS to process an amended return, you will most likely need to paper file your return.

If the other person is not willing to amend, please see below.

You will not be able to e-file claiming your dependent - you will need to file a paper return, which take considerably longer for the IRS to process (generally 4 - 6 weeks).

The IRS will eventually contact both of you to figure out who gets to claim the dependent. The losing party will then be liable for any additional taxes, penalties, and/or interest as a result of the false claim.  Because the IRS will need to make a determination as to who can legitimately claim the child as a dependent (after they have contacted both of you and have received a response from both of you), this process can take a considerable amount of time.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyT

If the return is rejected because the social security number of the child has already been shown on another return, you may still be able to claim the child as your dependent. 

If possible, you may want to request that the person who claimed your child amend their return and file without claiming the child. Note:  Due to the amount of time it takes the IRS to process an amended return, you will most likely need to paper file your return.

If the other person is not willing to amend, please see below.

You will not be able to e-file claiming your dependent - you will need to file a paper return, which take considerably longer for the IRS to process (generally 4 - 6 weeks).

The IRS will eventually contact both of you to figure out who gets to claim the dependent. The losing party will then be liable for any additional taxes, penalties, and/or interest as a result of the false claim.  Because the IRS will need to make a determination as to who can legitimately claim the child as a dependent (after they have contacted both of you and have received a response from both of you), this process can take a considerable amount of time.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies