turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am trying to download/print my tax returns and it downloads a file that my computer cannot print or read. How can I print a copy of my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
ls117992

I am trying to download/print my tax returns and it downloads a file that my computer cannot print or read. How can I print a copy of my return?

what type of file did it download? Also were there other document types as options for download?

It is a text document and it's just gibberish when I click on it.  No PDF or anything readable.  I've tried 22 times, so it just keeps changing the name of the file (1), (2), etc through (22)

It's probably the .tax2018 file?  You need the Turbo Tax program installed to open that.  You need to download the PDF file.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1912544-how-do-i-save-my-2018-turbotax-online-return-as-a-pdf">htt...>

I have two accounts, one for each son.  One account finally gave me a printable pdf, which I assumed I hadn't been able to get until the files were "accepted", so I waited on the other account until both returns were accepted but it is still just downloading a useless gibberish .txt file.

Try using a different browser to download it.  
Try replacing the .txt with .pdf.

Awesome!  It didn't give me the option to change the .txt, but switching browsers did the trick.   THANK YOU!

Solved
Were you downloading it with Microsoft Edge?  What did you change to?

Switching the browser worked for me! I had the same problem. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies