cds1979

So I already paid and filed my taxes but I just got a 1099-B do I pay the difference so it can be filed?

retiree

If you have already filed your return you MUST WAIT until the IRS accepts your return.  And, if you are due a refund it is best to wait until you have actually received your refund.  Then, and only then you can prepare an amended return with the additional W-2s (forms) added.  The amended return MUST be PRINTED and MAILED --it CANNOT be e-filed.  An amended return generally can take 3-4 months for the IRS to process it --and the processing of amended returns does not start until later in the year.

If your return is rejected, you can add the additional W-2s (forms) at the same time as you make the corrections required by the IRS and re-submit your e-file.

Above all, DO NOT DO ANYTHING until your return is accepted or rejected.

When mailing a printed return it is always a good idea to go to the Post Office and mail it 'Certified' with 'Return Receipt'.  That way you will have proof that they received it and when it was received.

retiree

cameaf

If your return has already been efiled and accepted, you can go through the steps of an amendment to find out if it is necessary to amend your return. The return will not be able to be efiled. The amended return has to be completed, printed and mailed to be processed. The amendment can be done in TurboTax by following the steps below: