londyn12314

Since my filing was accepted 2-21-2021 but never received, why does the IRS expect their money immediately if I now owe on my amended 2020 return?

The accepted 2020 filing  that I have not received was a refund.
fanfare

Your amount owed was due on May 17, 2021.

This is true for 1040 and 1040-X.

your original and amended returns will be processed separately.

If the original refund was not yet received since it has not been processed you should NOT have filed the amended return. 

If you did then you will be in a long wait ... amended returns normally take 4 to 6 months to process AFTER the original return has processed.   

And review the 1040X ...  do you actually owe ?  Did you change line 18 to reflect the original refund that you did not get ?  

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. 

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

fanfare

@Critter-3 

"On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received."

I don't think this is correct.

Your original and amended returns will be processed separately.

The fact that you did not get the refund does not mean that IRS has adjusted your refund.

Since you should NOT file the 1040X until  you GET the original refund and know for sure what the exact correct  amount on line 18 actually  is for sure  ....   my entire point was prompt the poster  to check the 1040X to see if the poster even has a refund or maybe a balance due when the original return is finally processed.