turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I receive money back for purchasing a house this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The new standard deduction for single is $12,000 and for married filing joint is $24,000, so your itemized deductions would need to exceed that amount to reduce your taxes.

Property taxes, and state and local taxes (up to $10,000) also gets added in addition to contributions.

TurboTax will walk you through this and give you the higher of the standard deduction or itemized.

Many times in the year of purchase of a home, the impact is small or none at all, due to not having a year of interest property taxes paid on the home.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The new standard deduction for single is $12,000 and for married filing joint is $24,000, so your itemized deductions would need to exceed that amount to reduce your taxes.

Property taxes, and state and local taxes (up to $10,000) also gets added in addition to contributions.

TurboTax will walk you through this and give you the higher of the standard deduction or itemized.

Many times in the year of purchase of a home, the impact is small or none at all, due to not having a year of interest property taxes paid on the home.

Manage cookies