Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

donoanpam

Should I file an amended tax return for the years I did not claim my child as a dependant. My ex never claimed him for those years

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
FaithY
Expert Alumni

Should I file an amended tax return for the years I did not claim my child as a dependant. My ex never claimed him for those years

Maybe. You first need to determine whether or not your child qualifies as your dependent for each year you are considering filing an amended tax return. For each year your child qualifies as your dependent, you can amend that years tax return and add your child as a dependent. 

Note: Generally, you must file an amended tax return within three years from the date you filed your original tax return or within two years of the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

The IRS general rules say that you can claim a dependent if: 

• The person is a U.S. Citizen, U.S. national, U.S. resident or a resident of Canada or Mexico.
  • The person has not already taken a personal exemption for themselves or claimed another dependent on their tax return.
  • The person is not married and filing a joint tax return.
  • You provide over half of the person's financial support and you are the only person claiming that person.
  • The person is younger than you and either younger than 19 years old or be a "student" younger than 24 years old as of the end of the calendar year.
  • There is no age limit if the person is "permanently and totally disabled" or meets the qualifying relative test.

The IRS has an interview tool to help you determine who you can claim as a dependent:  IRS Dependent Tool

If you would like to read additional information, please Click Here for a TurboTax guide on claiming dependents on your tax return.

Please Click Here to read the TurboTax FAQ on how to prepare an amended tax return using TurboTax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies