turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I amend my 2020 return to include a 1099-G form I had forgotten? If so, how?

I tried to submit it online, but there was a problem and it did not allow me to. I don't want to delay my return any longer and do not want to do the wrong thing.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Should I amend my 2020 return to include a 1099-G form I had forgotten? If so, how?

Was it less than 10,200? If so, it may not make a difference on your return. The first 10,200 of unemployment for an individual is not taxed for 2020. This was a recent tax change and the IRS is temporarily blocking amended returns that claim unemployment so they can try to get caught up. 

Did reporting the 1099-G cause you to owe additional tax? If so, make the tax payment. 

Print the 1040X and mail it in. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It was less than 10,200

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

You can't amend before the original processes. 

In your situation, you won't owe additional tax, so first wait and see if the IRS corrects everything for you. 

Do you also file a state tax return? If so, which state? 

I filed a state tax return and already been deposited the refund. I filed for California

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

CA does not tax unemployment benefits.  You do not need to amend your state tax returns.

Brookejar

I filed my 2020 taxes in January an had no idea about the 1099g form an when I finally got the form in March I tried to amend my taxes but it wouldn’t let me do I still need to amend my 2020 taxes cause I forgot my 1099g form for unemployment?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies