turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sent my state taxes to someone else bank account

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you requested to have your state tax refund direct deposited into a bank account where you were not the owner of the account, then the bank will reject your direct deposit and return the refund back to the state.  The state will then send you a refund check in the mail to the address entered on your tax return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you requested to have your state tax refund direct deposited into a bank account where you were not the owner of the account, then the bank will reject your direct deposit and return the refund back to the state.  The state will then send you a refund check in the mail to the address entered on your tax return.

I highly suggest you contact the bank to let them know of the situation ... if the state does deposit the refund to the wrong account they will not be responsible and will not reissue the refund or help in getting the refund back.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Not all banks check the name on the account. Your bank might not reject the deposit. If they accept the deposit to the specified account number, you may have significant difficulty getting your refund. The state and the bank followed your instructions. They are not at fault.

Did you intentionally send your state refund to the bank account of someone you know, or did you just enter a random incorrect account number?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies