turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ItsMe

Do I need a PTIN for my 1040X? Will I also need an EIN? If so, how do I get one or both? Will I have to pay for them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need a PTIN for my 1040X? Will I also need an EIN? If so, how do I get one or both? Will I have to pay for them?

See above discussion.

That "Paid Preparer Use Only" section is for a CPA or other paid tax preparer to sign if they were hired to prepare the Form 1040X.     If you are preparing your own form, you don't need to fill out anything below your signature, date, and occupation line in the section that says "Sign Here."    If a joint return, then both spouses must sign.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

1040X is am amended return, which must be printed and mailed in. Was your original filing accepted, and refund received? What changed after your original filing?
ItsMe

Yes, I am currently filling out my amended return (1040X), I have already received my original refund. But as I'm filling out this 1040X form there is a PTIN and EIN section I need to fill out, but I don't know where to get a PTIN or EIN. Does anyone know where and how I get a PTIN and EIN?

Why are you asking about PTIN and EIN?  
Are you referring to fields in the signature section that says "Paid Preparer Use Only" at the bottom of Page 2 of the Form 1040X?

If so, those fields are not for a filer.  As it indicates, that section is for a paid preparer if the form was prepared by a paid preparer.

Are you preparing the Form 1040X manually, or are you using TurboTax software to prepare the Form 1040X?
ItsMe

Yes to the signature section that says "Paid Preparer Use Only" at the bottom of page 2. I am preparing it manually

Why are you in the Paid Preparer section at all?   Is someone paying you to prepare their Form 1040X?   

If you are filing a Form 1040X for yourself and not paying anyone to do it, then the section that indicates "Paid Preparer Use Only" means you should stay out of that section.
ItsMe

Oh ok, thanks, I was wondering why I couldn't find any answers in the question board. This is my first 1040X. Thanks for the help!

You're welcome.  Good luck.

If you prepared the original return in TurboTax, the TurboTax program would have prepared the Form 1040X for you.  I'm not sure why you prepared it manually.

See above discussion.

That "Paid Preparer Use Only" section is for a CPA or other paid tax preparer to sign if they were hired to prepare the Form 1040X.     If you are preparing your own form, you don't need to fill out anything below your signature, date, and occupation line in the section that says "Sign Here."    If a joint return, then both spouses must sign.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies