turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Second Amened Return

I had made a mistake on my amended return that I had already sent to the IRS which says that I owe so I called the IRS and was told that I can do it over again and change my filing status so I wont owe from separate to filing jointly because I thought by my husband not working in 2018 I couldn't file jointly. The IRS person said that not only I should not owe taxes but I should received a refund back. So when I went to Turbo Amended Return I was able to complete it and it showed that I will be receiving a big refund back. But I wanted to double check this time so before I send this amended return to the IRS that it was done correct so I press cxl amended and did it over again but this time it says my refund 0 as if I already receive the money back already and don't matter how many time I redo it still give me 0. So I need to know how can I get the correct amended back because now it says that I don't owe and I'm not getting anything back?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Second Amened Return

When you hit cancel amendment you also had to go back and remove all the changes made on the second amendment.  You should also wait to mail in a second amendment until the first one has fully processed and you get the bill for the balance due. 

Hopefully you saved a copy of the original return and the first amendment so you know what they look like because the second amendment's column A must start with the figures on the first amendment's column C. 

Then you will manually have to adjust the amounts on lines 16 - 22.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies