Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Saying something wrong with taxes and they already filed

Something went wrong
1 Reply
New Member

Saying something wrong with taxes and they already filed

If you have already e-filed or mailed the return, you will need to wait until the IRS has accepted it. Once they accept it and you have received your refund, then you can amend it. If it gets rejected, you can just make the needed changes and file again. 

NOTE: The IRS plans to start accepting electronic returns on today, January 23, 2017. The amend form will be ready for you in mid-February. Check back at this time if you would like to amend your 2016 return.

See below for reasons you'd need to amend your return: 

You should amend if any of these apply to you after you mailed your return or the government accepted your e-filed return:

  • You need to report another tax form, such as a W-2, 1099 or 1095-A.
  • You received a corrected tax form, for example a W-2C or amended 1099-B.
  • You forgot to report income or claim dependents, deductions, or credits.
  • You accidentally claimed dependents, deductions, or credits that you weren't eligible for.
  • You made an error, such as reporting income or deductions that should have been reported for a different tax year.
  • You need to change your filing status; for example, if you filed as Single but now want to file as Head of Household.
  • We instructed you to amend because of a program error (this is uncommon).

Never file an amended return if:

  • Your e-filed return is rejected. Just incorporate the necessary changes before you resubmit or mail your return.
  • Your e-filed return is still pending. Wait until the return is accepted before amending (if rejected, make your changes before resubmitting.)
  • You received an IRS notice about math errors or the IRS asks you for additional forms. Just follow the IRS instructions in the notification.
  • You received a health coverage form 1095-B or 1095-C after filing. These forms are not required on your tax return.  Simply review the form for accuracy. If it matches what you reported on your return, you do not need to amend.  Just keep the form for your records. 


Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings