Tjtabb619

Return said I get 22k and pay 600 to state. I try to amend and it says I owe that amount but I never received any money. I barely made a few grand that yr. what to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

You should not be amending a return until you do get the original refund ... why are you not waiting ? 

Tjtabb619

Well I’ve already got a letter saying the amount might be incorrect so they asked me to verify information. The only reason I would owe that much is if I have to repay what they sent me but I never received anything. I barely made a few grand that year. Got my advice?

A refund of $22K--Twenty-two THOUSAND dollars?  Or do you mean $2200?  A refund of 22 thousand dollars is huge especially if, as you say, you barely made a few thousand dollars.  That would raise a few eyebrows at the IRS, all right.    Sounds like you must have some data entry errors and the IRS is sorting it out.  Provide them with the information that they are asking for.  Do not amend your return until this is sorted out.  If you made errors on your federal return the errors likely affected your state return and caused it to look like you owed the state.