turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tjtabb619
Returning Member

Return said I get 22k and pay 600 to state. I try to amend and it says I owe that amount but I never received any money. I barely made a few grand that yr. what to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Return said I get 22k and pay 600 to state. I try to amend and it says I owe that amount but I never received any money. I barely made a few grand that yr. what to do?

You should not be amending a return until you do get the original refund ... why are you not waiting ? 

Tjtabb619
Returning Member

Well I’ve already got a letter saying the amount might be incorrect so they asked me to verify information. The only reason I would owe that much is if I have to repay what they sent me but I never received anything. I barely made a few grand that year. Got my advice?

A refund of $22K--Twenty-two THOUSAND dollars?  Or do you mean $2200?  A refund of 22 thousand dollars is huge especially if, as you say, you barely made a few thousand dollars.  That would raise a few eyebrows at the IRS, all right.    Sounds like you must have some data entry errors and the IRS is sorting it out.  Provide them with the information that they are asking for.  Do not amend your return until this is sorted out.  If you made errors on your federal return the errors likely affected your state return and caused it to look like you owed the state.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies