turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Regarding the child tax credit. By all accounts i should qualify but tt does says that there are disqualifying reasons it isn't being added. What could I be doing wrong

child is a dependent, within income requirements, lived with me more than 6 months, is less than 17, has ss number
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Regarding the child tax credit. By all accounts i should qualify but tt does says that there are disqualifying reasons it isn't being added. What could I be doing wrong

The Child Tax Credit can significantly reduce your tax bill if you meet all seven requirements: 1. age, 2. relationship, 3. support, 4. dependent status, 5. citizenship, 6. length of residency and 7. family income. You and/or your child must pass all seven to claim this tax credit.

-follow this link for specific requirements-

2020 Child Tax Credit Calculator and Top 7 Requirements ...

i do meet all the criteria, that is why i am puzzled

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

You may meet all the criteria, but there may be an input error somewhere that is preventing the credit.  Try revisiting the section where you entered your dependent's information and double check everything carefully.  

@alandickson

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies