turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bock63509895
Returning Member

Refund - should not go to me

I failed to file my 2021 income tax return when it was due to be filed.  It was during the COVID outbreak and I didn't think it needed to be filed because of that.  However, I SHOULD HAVE contacted the IRS to verify that information rather than just take it for granted I didn't need to file.  

The refund should to to the IRS not me.

Could you please help me resolve this?  As I mentioned, I never expected a refund and rather thought I would be the one to pay for any back taxes.

Please help me with this asap.  I will also try to contact the IRS tomorrow morning.  I am very worried about this situation as I am sure there will be consequences from the IRS if they thought I was trying to get away with any money that should not rightfully be paid to me.  

Please respond ASAP.   I will contact the IRS as soon as possible tomorrow AM.

Sincerely,

Pamela  (Pam)

[phone number removed]

[address removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

This is a public web site that can be seen by anyone—including scammers and would-be identity thieves who would love to contact you and pretend to be from TurboTax.  Please remove the personal information you posted here ASAP by returning to your post and clicking the three little blue dots on the upper right to edit your post.

No one can see your screen, your tax return or your account.   We do not know why you think you should not have filed a tax return or why you think you should not get your tax refund.   If you are getting a refund it is okay to miss the deadline.   There is no penalty for missing the filing deadline if you are getting a refund.   If you OWE tax due to the IRS you can be subject to paying penalties and interest.

Without any personal information please explain your situation.   What are you so worried about?   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

it is very possible what you got was an Economic Recovery Payment.  You don't need any income to qualify to receive it. millions of others with no income received a similar refund.

@Bock63509895 - how much did you receive?  if it was $1400 for each person listed on your 2020 on tax return (or just yourself and you are on social security), that is the stimulus payment and it is yours' to keep. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies