Recovery Rebate tax credit question..

Rumorjensen3

Recovery Rebate tax credit question..

So I did my taxes and when I got to the RRC question it asked me how much I got on my 1st and 2nd round. (Backstory: on my 2019 taxes I didnt claim neither of my children. So I received the 1200 my 1st round and didnt get my 2nd. I also gave birth in 2020) I now am claiming all of my kids (3) on my 2020 tax return. I got confused when 3900 came up. I asked live help and they said it is because I got only 1200 and nothing for my my kids on the 1st one so I was owed 600x3 which would total 1800. The last round I received nothing and she explained 600x4 is 2400. So I then asked her how is that right when I didnt claim my children and that their fathers did on their 2019 taxes. Shouldn't there be a question such as "were your dependents claimed on another tax return in 2019? Did you give birth in 2020?" She said that I should be fine. I disconnected and then I reconnected to another tax expert and I was told the same thing. I went ahead and filed entrusting I got the right advice. I was speaking with a friend who had the excat same happen to her. Is everything correct?

Recovery Rebate tax credit question..

The stimulus money you get for claiming your children is based on your 2020 tax return.    When they hurried to send out checks last year they could not wait for people to file tax returns so they used either 2018 or 2019 information that was in the system already.   

But the credit was an advance on a credit you get on your 2020 return.   The way it worked means  in some divorce situations etc when parents "take turns" with claiming the child etc. a parent may have gotten the stimulus for a child based on their 2018 or 2019 return and they do not have to pay it back even if they did not claim the child for 2020.   But .....the parent who does claim the child in 2020 gets stimulus for the child---in other words stimulus is being paid out twice for the same child in many cases.  That is how they wrote the law.

You do get to claim all the stimulus money for round #1 and round #2 for the children who are claimed on your 2020 tax return.

Rumorjensen3

Recovery Rebate tax credit question..

Thank so much for the information! I feel I understand this so much more.