turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

user82183

Recently I e-filed my 2019 W2s. After reviewing my return status I noticed it said it was for 2020 taxes, I'm confused. Will I still be able to file my 2020 W2 for this year's tax season?

My 2019 W2s for the tax season of 2020 were e-filed January of 2021. Recently received my 2020 W-2 for tax season 2021,
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Recently I e-filed my 2019 W2s. After reviewing my return status I noticed it said it was for 2020 taxes, I'm confused. Will I still be able to file my 2020 W2 for this year's tax season?

I THOUGHT I WAS FILING 2019 BUT IT IS FOR 2020

If you used the current online program for a 2019 return you used the wrong program.  Online is only for 2020 returns—no other year.  If you e-filed it, you have a problem now. 

The IRS will not start to accept or reject returns until February 12.  The return you e-filed is sitting in pending on the server until then.  When they finally begin to accept or reject returns you will receive an email telling you if they accepted your return.

If you are lucky, the incorrect return you filed will be rejected.   Then you will be able to remove the 2019 income you entered on those 2020 forms and put in your 2020 information to file your 2020 return.  When you put in the 2020 information you should be able to e-file it by using “zero” as your 2019 AGI.

But——

If the IRS accepts your incorrect return—-which the IRS will see as a 2020 return—- your problem is bigger.   You will have to wait for the IRS to fully process it and send your refund.   THEN you can prepare an amended return in order to enter your 2020 income and send it in.   You amend by preparing a special form called a 1040X.   It takes the IRS about 4-6 months to process an amended return.

Do NOT try to change anything on the return you just e-filed.  The changes will not go anywhere and will mess it up more.  You must sit tight until you get the emails to know whether you need to amend.

While you are waiting out the IRS to see what they will do with your incorrect 2020 return, you can go ahead and file your 2019 return by doing it correctly using the 2019 software and 2019 forms, since that has to be mailed in and will also take several months to be processed.

The current online program can only be used for a 2020 return--no other year.  And if you did not file a 2019 return you will have trouble e-filing 2020.  When it asks for your 2019 AGI try using zero.  If zero does not work then you have to print, sign and mail 2020.

Online preparation and e-filing for 2017, 2018 and 2019 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2017, 2018, or 2019 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You may also want to explore purchasing the software from various retailers such as Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s, etc.

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

If you are getting a refund, there is not a penalty for filing past the deadline.  If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies