turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Vali06
Returning Member

Receiving my tax return into an european bank account

So I'm going to apply for my tax return with Turbo Tax and I know I can get a check or select direct deposit into a bank account. The thing is that I'm not living anymore in the USA and I only have a bank account here in Europe. Can I put my bank account from here as my receiving option or it can be only a USA bank account ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

A direct deposit of a tax refund can only be deposited into a US bank located in the US.  The IRS can send the tax refund as a US Treasury check mailed to the address on your tax return.  Since you have a local bank in Europe you can deposit the check into your local bank account.  The bank will put a hold on deposit until it has cleared and then you would have access to the funds.

Vali06
Returning Member

Thanks for your reply and  for the information. But, unfortunately for I don't know what reasons there are no banks here in my country (Romania) that accepts checks from outside the country.

Since Romania is part of the EU, I doubt that a Romanian bank would refuse to deposit a check drawn on a bank outside of Romania.  You need to speak directly with your bank for their procedures to deposit a check issued by the United States Treasury Department.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies