turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Received notice that TurboTax miscalculated my mortgage deduction in 2020. Followed instructions to amend return, but TurboTax making same mistake. How do I fix this?

It seems that TurboTax hasn't complete fixed the issue with miscalculated mortgage interest.  I know it should be capped at $750,000 worth of indebtedness ($1,000,000 for mortgage debt before 12/31/2017).  I had over $1,000,000 in mortgage debt between my primary residence and my former residence (I bought my present residence before I sold in the former one in mid-2020).  I reported around $25K in mortgage interest, and to amend the return, I went and checked the mortgage interest and got a message that my deduction would be $18K, which makes sense, but when I look at Schedule A it still shows $25k.  Wondering if it is possible, advisable to somehow manually edit Schedule A and resubmit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Received notice that TurboTax miscalculated my mortgage deduction in 2020. Followed instructions to amend return, but TurboTax making same mistake. How do I fix this?

The notice you recieved should have given you a phone number to call for assistance with this issue.  

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

I called the helpline, and they helped me with the fix.  Go to forms and open Tax & Int Wks. Scroll down to Mortgage Interest Limited Smart Worksheet.  On the line "Does your mortgage interest need to be limited" use override to change the answer from No to Yes.  Only do this if you are positive that your average mortgage balance if over the limit.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The notice you recieved should have given you a phone number to call for assistance with this issue.  

Make up a 1098 with a small outstanding balance but interest of 18K.

Schedule A and your itemized deduction amount should then be correct.

@Anonymous 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I called the helpline, and they helped me with the fix.  Go to forms and open Tax & Int Wks. Scroll down to Mortgage Interest Limited Smart Worksheet.  On the line "Does your mortgage interest need to be limited" use override to change the answer from No to Yes.  Only do this if you are positive that your average mortgage balance if over the limit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies