turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

received cp30 for estimated tax penalty

dear community,


i received a cp30 notice for failure to pay the estimated taxes for tax year 2023.  there is an option to pay for it online through the irs.gov portal.  i went on the website, but it is a bit confusing which options i have to select.  the cp30 notice does not quite give the detailed instructions, all it states is that one of the ways you can pay is through the online portal and provides the link, but no further instructions are provided.  when i go to the irs.gov website and login with my id.me account username and password,  then i click on "make a payment", then i have to choose "select your payment": pay 2023 income tax, pay balance in full, pay towards your balance, amended return, estimated tax, proposed tax assessment. which of these do i have to choose? and just in general if you may please know how to go about correctly making this cp30 estimated tax penalty payment online for the 2023 tax year. thank you so kindly for all of your help and advice.

Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Level 11

received cp30 for estimated tax penalty

@dimi1927  you can pay by mail,  or electronically using sites like IRS2go (app or website).


Pay by Mail:

  • Make your check, money order or cashier's check payable to U.S. Treasury.
    • Please note: Do not send cash through the mail. If you prefer cash payment, see "More Information" below.
  • Enter the amount using all numbers ($###.##).
  • Do not use staples or paper clips to affix your payment to your voucher or return.
  • Make sure your check or money order includes the following information:
    • Your name and address
    • Daytime phone number
    • Social Security number (the SSN shown first if it's a joint return) or employer identification number
    • Tax year
    • Related tax form or notice number
  • Mail your payment to the address listed on the notice or instructions, or consult the table below.
  • What is your payment situation?
    Paying and filing Refer to your form instructions, or find the correct address by state or by form
    Received a notice Follow the payment instructions on the notice you received
    Paying only (already filed)

    Individuals: Find where to send balance due payments

    Businesses: Procedures may vary for different types of tax. Learn more

    Paying an installment Follow the instructions on your notice, or find where to send balance due payments

Pay Now

You’ll need to confirm your identity before making a payment using pay now options. Make a payment today, or schedule a payment, without signing up for an IRS Online Account. Pay from your bank account, your Debit or Credit Card, or even with digital wallet.   IRS2Go app or website.

Pay from Your Bank Account

For individuals only. No registration required. No fees from IRS. Schedule payments up to a year in advance.

Pay Now with Direct Pay

Pay by Debit Card, Credit Card or Digital Wallet

For individuals and businesses (not for payroll tax deposits). Processing fees apply.

Pay Now by Card or Digital Wallet

Sign In to Pay IRS2go

You will need to sign in using your credentials before you can pay and get more information about your payment history.

Sign In to make an Individual Tax Payment and See Your Payment History

For individuals only.

  • You will need to create an IRS Online Account before using this option.
  • View the amount you owe, your payment plan details, payment history, and any scheduled or pending payments. 
  • Make a same day payment from your bank account for your balance, payment plan, estimated tax, or other types of payments.

Go to Your Account

Sign in to make a Tax Deposit Payment or Schedule Estimated Payments with the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)

  • Enrollment required to use this option.
  • Make payments from your bank account. 
  • Make a same day Tax Deposits, estimated taxes, Offer in Compromise (OIC) or other types of payments.


Need More Time to Pay?

Avoid a penalty by filing and paying your tax by the due date, even if you can’t pay what you owe.

For individuals and businesses: Apply online for a payment plan (including installment agreement) to pay off your balance over time. Fees apply.

For more information on payment plans including streamlined, in-business trust fund express, guaranteed, and partial payment installment agreements refer to Tax Topic No. 202-Tax Payment Options.

Apply for a Payment Plan

See if you qualify for an Offer in Compromise to settle your debt for less than you owe.

If you're facing financial hardship, you may be eligible to ask for a temporary collection delay until your finances improve.


Other Ways You Can Pay


**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

received cp30 for estimated tax penalty

thank you so much, really appreciate the guidance

received cp30 for estimated tax penalty

The correct choice here is "proposed tax assessment."  


Note that if this is the first time you owed a penalty, or you have reasonable cause for not making your payments, you can apply for an abatement (waiver).


received cp30 for estimated tax penalty

pay balance in full, if you do it online

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies