Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eliblue16

I made a double entry

How do I start over on filing out this form
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I made a double entry

You can choose Clear and Start Over from the My Account tab at the top of your screen as long as you haven't paid your TurboTax fees or registered your return with TurboTax. See the screenshot below. 

You could also just delete whatever the duplicate entry was. If you respond with more information about this, I could show you how to delete it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I made a double entry

You can choose Clear and Start Over from the My Account tab at the top of your screen as long as you haven't paid your TurboTax fees or registered your return with TurboTax. See the screenshot below. 

You could also just delete whatever the duplicate entry was. If you respond with more information about this, I could show you how to delete it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
1fields1

I made a double entry

Order number 105410446. July 8th. I had never filed my income taxes before. I am age 68 and my husband died in September. I filed using the turbo tax disk sent to my husband, Thaddeus J. Spack, on July 5th. I realized in review my information that I may have made an error. I did not understand about profit from stock that I had not sold. I went back on July 8th to my form and adjusted the information to see what changes would occur. It said I would get back $504.00 instead of $7,204.00. I submitted it and paid Turbo Tax instead of doing an amended return. I called IRS the next morning and after being on the phone for a long time of 20 minutes, I was told I would be sent an error message and nothing would be documented with IRS for three weeks. I got a refund yesterday from IRS for the $7,204.00 that I am not due. That was filed for Thaddeus J Spack with spouse being Tracy D Fields.  I am not sure how to get help.

I made a double entry

That's right you got the first refund.  Now you need to mail in an Amended 1040X return to correct it.  Amending is a special process.  You need to start with the original filed first return.  So you need to take out the changes and put your return back to the way it was when you originally filed it. 

How to amend the Desktop program

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return-in-the-turbotax-cd-download...

Besure the original refund shows up on the amended return.  How did you resubmit it?  And you used the Online version to do the second one?  You can only efile one return one time.  So the second one should have rejected, unless you mailed the first return.

By the way the Desktop program can do more than one return so I don't understand why you paid Turbo Tax again for the Online version.   

Another thing,  did you file a Joint return with his info and income?  You can file Joint the year he passed away.

Also please explain what you entered wrong about the stocks.  Seems if you reported sales you didn't make you would get less of a refund not such a big refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies