turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can the refund from an amended tax return be applied to next year?

I am amending a prior tax return, which is generating an additional refund.  Can I apply that to a future tax year (instead of asking for a check refund)?  It is a small amount.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Yes, line 23 is where you can apply your refund from line 21 to your 2019 estimated taxes.  You might have to manually enter the year & amount to line 23 after you print the 1040-X form.  Amended returns must be mailed.  

DWASH

Thank you for the directions to manually correct Turbotax printout.  To me this is an software bug that should be fixed.  After amending a return that generated a greater refund AND updating the Apply Refund To Next Year to the new total, TurboTax did not apply the additional amount to line 23 but left is in line 22.   TurboTax worked so well on everything else.

dmertz
Level 15

The developers have apparently chosen not to support this in step-by-step mode or the online version of TurboTax.  However, these entries can be made on line 23 of Form 1040X in forms mode of the CD/download version of TurboTax and TurboTax will appropriately adjust the amount on line 22.

spatel60

Is it still true that my refund after finalizing an an extension for 2020 can be applied to taxes for 2021? Is the process the same - manually enter in line 23 ?

@spatel60   Yes.  If you haven't filed yet and have a refund.  You can apply all or part of it to next year.  But for 2020 it's now on line 36 (not 23).

To apply part or all of your Federal refund to next year

Federal Taxes Tab or Personal (H&B version)

Other Tax Situations

Additional Tax Payments

Apply Refund to Next Year - Click the Start or Update button

But I wouldn’t do that. With all the IRS problems and the Stimulus payments, etc. it’s common for the IRS to change your return this year. I would get the full refund so you know you got it and then pay an estimated payment to the IRS separately directly at
https://www.irs.gov/payments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies