turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

parnellj

Will turbotax pay the irs my amendment even though i paid the irs directly with the bill they sent?

I paid the IRS already but now that im filing the correction, turbotax wants to charge what i just paid again.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Will turbotax pay the irs my amendment even though i paid the irs directly with the bill they sent?

Why are you amending?   Did the IRS change your refund to an amount due because of a mistake on line 28 or line 30?   If they corrected your return for line 28 or line 30 you do not have to amend.   You just have to pay the tax due.  No need to amend.   Or are you amending for something else?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Turbo Tax just charged you the Turbo Tax fees.  Nothing about your tax due.   Turbo Tax doesn't pay anything for you.   Did you pay a tax due on the original return?   Do you owe more for  the amended?  What did you already pay the IRS?   I don't think you can have an Amended tax due deducted from your bank.  You probably have to pay it by check.

the amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  I think the cover sheet shows what the original return WOULD have been if you did it right the first time.

Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

If you have a tax due, do not send the 1040V.  Just include a check with the 1040X.  Ignore the 1040V.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.  Pay the amount on the actual 1040X.

parnellj

The IRS sent a bill stating an error with a notice name CP11. I paid online directly to the IRS. Now I amended the return with TurboTax and not sure how to show that I’ve already paid it. 

Ok.  Let's start with the amended return.   Why are you amending?  You might not need to amend.

parnellj

I missed inputting the child tax credit (form 6419) into my original filing. 

You don't need to amend for the Child Tax Credit.  The IRS will automatically adjust your return for it, which it sounds like they did.   There is nothing you can fix.   It was already included in the adjusted IRS notice.

If you made a mistake with the child tax credit and owed more to the IRS, they corrected it for you and you say you got a bill from them and paid it already.  If that is what happened you do not have to amend.   Do not send an amended return for that.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

if you already paid your extra amount due, but Form 1040-X shows that amount as amount you owe.

be sure to clear any  direct debit bank information, or you will pay the bill twice.

@parnellj 

parnellj

What a mess. I did file the amendment with TurboTax after paying the IRS bill. And also had to upgrade to the deluxe TurboTax so that was more money. Frustrating. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies