turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joleto610

Will I get my full federal refund if I file an amended return but never filed an original return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Will I get my full federal refund if I file an amended return but never filed an original return?

Will I get my full federal refund if I file an amended return but never filed an original return?  NO.

You cannot amend a tax return that was never filed.  You will need to file the original tax return.

For tax year 2019 you will need to use the 2019 desktop editions as the 2019 online editions have shut down for new 2019 tax returns - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

For prior year tax returns, 2018 and 2017, you will need to purchase the desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

What?  You do not amend a return that was never filed in the first place. Amending is a special process that you use only for a return that has been filed and fully processed by the IRS, but that has some mistakes or missing information.  Using "amend" for a return that you did not ever file is completely incorrect.

Did you click on "amend" by mistake?  Why are you amending--or why do you think you should?

I clicked on “amend” by mistake

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2552802-how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-turbotax-onli...

What you need to do is complete the ORIGINAL tax return and then print, sign and mail it.  You have missed the deadline to e-file a 2019 return.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
joleto610

okay so here's more details. I had to paper file, my original return was never received, I discovered I had a W-2 that was not included after the deadline. TurboTax made me amend the document to add it. Even though my original return was never filed. 

How do you know that the original return was not received?  If your original return was mailed then it could still be in a pile of unopened mail at the IRS.  The IRS is currently working on opening over 11 million pieces of mail that piled up in trailers during the pandemic.  So if your original return was mailed without tracking--like from certified mail or UPS-- you have no way to know if they received it or not.  There are people who mailed returns months ago that are still waiting for the IRS to dig out their envelopes and process their returns.

If your original return is still there somewhere and now you send in another return you will cause confusion and more delay. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

How do you know the first original return was not received?  There no way to know.  Millions of people who mailed in returns are still waiting for the IRS to open the mail and process them.  Keep waiting for the first one to process. 

The IRS was closed for several months and are behind.  

They didn't start opening the mail until June that's been stacking up. Back in March the IRS closed their processing centers and stopped processing mailed tax returns.  An IRS spokesperson recently said that they have about 11 million pieces of unopened mail.  The IRS says....."We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it."  So it may take longer if you mailed in June or later.  So you have to keep waiting.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

joleto610

I am almost positive that my original tax return was never mailed in the first place, unfortunately. This whole situation is pretty confusing because my amended state return got accepted when I'm almost positive they never received my original.  I got refunded the amended amount, but not the original. 

@xmasbaby0  we wrote the same exact first sentence.  I swear I didn't copy you, lol.

If you are "almost positive" that you did not mail the original return  (not sure how how you do not know if you took an envelope to a mailbox..)  Amending is STILL inappropriate.  You only send in a Form 1040X if the original return has been processed.  The IRS needs an ORIGINAL return from you.  If you have to, start over again and prepare an original return on a Form 1040  (NOT a 1040X) with ALL of your income on it.  

But....you cannot start a new online return using TurboTax now, since online tax prep is closed.  A new return has to be started on desktop software which must be downloaded to a full PC or Mac.

Then if you want to take your chances on having two different mailed returns sitting in piles at the IRS, take the chance and mail the return that is correct and hope that is the one that gets processed.

@VolvoGirl Well---at least the original poster will see that great minds think alike.....

joleto610

Well, thank you for your help and clarification on a couple of things at least. 

Unbelief

I never finished my return in TurboTax.  Instead I printed forms to review and then returned to TurboTax to correct some items.  Upon returning, TurboTax told me I could print my completed return.  I could not make changes and had chosen to mail the return.   I contacted their "tax professionals" and was told it was already filed, even though I had not e-filed or mailed it.  I told them I wanted to eliminate it and start over.  I could not according to them, I had to amend it.  So I went in and amended it.  The original return was no longer available to print again and I mailed the amended return.  Overall, I am not impressed with Turbo Tax or their guidance like I was when I used it 20 years ago.   I gave them my CC info, so should not have had any issues with them worrying about getting paid for my return.  Now I have a mess.  I was under the impression that since I had not mailed the first return, it could be redone because I chose mailing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies