turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I be able to get my 2022 tax returns for a college loan if I've never done taxes?

Im a co signer for a loan, and I was asked for 2022 tax returns. I need to get it within this month,but I've never had a full time job up until this February. Will I be able to receive my tax returns In time?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Will I be able to get my 2022 tax returns for a college loan if I've never done taxes?

@51b2b0eb0568 -  a "2022' tax return won't be prepared until early 2023.  A '2022' tax return covers the calendar year 2022 and can't be completed until the year is over. 

Did you mean a 2021 tax return, covering the 2021 calendar year, which is prepared in 2022? 

Do you mean that someone is co-signing a loan for you?  When someone co-signs for a loan, they are saying that they will be responsible to repay the loan if the primary borrower on the loan does not pay.  Are you agreeing to be responsible for someone else's loan and make the payments if that person does not/cannot pay their loan?

Or Is the loan for your benefit? Is someone else co-signing and saying that they will make the payments if YOU do not/cannot pay?

If you did not start a job until "this February" meaning February of 2022, then you will not be filing a tax return until next year in 2023.   Tax year 2022 has to be over before you can file a tax return for 2022.   Sounds like you need more clarity from the financial institution from which you are obtaining the loan.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I'm co signing my sister's college loan and I've looked back to see which year and it looks like they are asking for any  "proof of federal income tax returns"

. I have never done taxes because I've only worked seasonal part time jobs and made below the amount that would require me to file. 

I have a full time job now, but I started back in February. 

Considering theyre looking for any year,  what steps should I take if I've never done taxes in the past?

Thank you!

@51b2b0eb0568 discuss with the loan officer/ scholarship office at the college.  you simply cannot produce a 2022 tax return until  February. 2023

@51b2b0eb0568 You say that you have worked part-time or seasonal jobs in the past but have never filed a tax return.   Do you have W-2's for those jobs?   Was any tax withheld from your pay?   Look in box 2 of any W-2 that you have.   If tax was withheld then you could have filed a tax return to seek a refund, even if you were below the income amount that required you to file.   However, if you need to file a past year tax return, it can only be filed by mail and it will take the IRS six to nine months to process the tax return.

As NCperson suggested, you should have discussion with the loan officer or college financial aid office to see what else they might accept from you, since you cannot file a 2022 tax return until next year.   And...sorry to bring this up....but if you have such a slim record of working or having income, will you be able to meet the criteria to pass a credit check to be a co-signer?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you didn't get a W2 and were paid in cash or got a 1099 for work,  you needed to file it as self employment income if you made as little as $400 or more total for a year.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies