turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why was my federal tax refund check far less then was sent and accepted by the IRS???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Why was my federal tax refund check far less then was sent and accepted by the IRS???

If your IRS-issued tax refund comes in around $35 or $40 less than the amount shown in TurboTax, it's probably because you used the Refund Processing Service option to deduct your Turbo Tax fees from your federal tax refund. There's a separate processing fee for this service, which is deducted from your federal refund in addition to your TurboTax fees.

Other missing dollar amounts may be caused by a refund offset. This is when the government applies part or all of a taxpayer's refund towards the taxpayer's past-due income tax, child or spousal support, student loans, or state unemployment compensation debts.

If this happens, you should get a letter from the government explaining why you didn't get the entire refund. You can also get this information by looking up your refund at the IRS Where's My Refund page. 

Finally, the government may have made a correction to your tax return, resulting in a lower (or higher!) than anticipated refund. Again, you'll get an official explanatory letter when this happens.

You would not have had TT fees deducted if you received a paper check directly  from the IRS.

Also understand that Accepted just means received for processing.  It does not mean the IRS agreed with the amount of the refund on it.   The government may also have adjusted or denied your Recovery Rebate Credit, so wait for the letter from them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies